Thursday, January 5, 2012

First week!

Well- homeschool got off to a good start this week despite the fact that I had surgery only days before to remove my appendix. The kids were BEGGING me to begin schooling, and so we started Monday, January 2nd... before their friends went back to school! At first, we just tried to chug along since I was pretty much immobile and couldn't sit up very well. By the third day, we were in a routine and kicking homeschool's butt!!

Our routine goes like this:

8-8:30- wake up/ brush teeth, get dressed/ clean room
10am- Say Pledge of Allegiance/ Pray/ Read 1 chapter in Book of Mormon
10:30-2pm- History (all together), Science (all together), Math (online for girls and I work with Tae one-on-one), Spelling, Grammar, Writing, and Reading (Currently, we are reading Harry Potter book 1)

So far, this week we have covered "What is History and Archaeology", "The Nomadic People", made cave paintings, (which got ruined by an apple juice spill after showing daddy), "History of Anatomy and Physiology", "Cell Structure", and lots of ABC writing and "Clock" work for Taesun.

All-in-all... a super fun week! The first day we homeschooled, a mom of a girl in Addison's old class dropped by the house and asked me lots of questions about homeschooling. The next day, I found out that two more people I know used to homeschool their kids but can't anymore due to work. The following day, another homeschool mom invited the kids and I to a "parkday" which we had to decline because I can't drive yet after the surgery. We have had lots of invitations to do projects with friends and other homeschoolers. This should be an exciting experience!

Today- we went to a local animal shelter and found out that the kids and I can volunteer there regularly. The kids can play with the dogs (not cats because of our family's allergies,) clean the cages, and help to feed the animals. I am so excited for this opportunity to teach my kids hard work. We signed all the paperwork tonight and we are looking forward to turning it in this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment