Monday, December 12, 2011

Preparations Galore!

In preparing for our new lifestyle, I have come across some pretty good books. There is one in particular that I loved that would be great for ANYONE to read... (Especially if you are just now finding out that we are homeschooling and think, 'why in the world?')

"So- Why Do You Homeschool?" by Mimi Davis

This is really a book for people thinking about homeschooling OR for people who know family/friends that are starting to homeschool. I highly recommend it. I read it cover-to-cover in less than one day. My favorite parts were the origin of public school and the agenda of the NEA (National Education Association). These excerpts were very eye-opening to me.

We are ordering our curriculum through Amazon today and I signed up for Amazon Prime. It really is exciting to think I can order ANYTHING and get FREE SHIPPING now!! (It's the little perks in life,right?)

The kids are nervous to "pull the plug" but are gaining excitement each day. Jenna is now on board and Taesun begs me to stay home as it is already. Addison would like to finish out the school year, but likes the idea of sleeping in to 8:30!!

I am a bit anxious still. The original plan was to pull the kids out of school at the end of Spring Semester. It is a natural transition time and would have the least effect on the kids. Due to some more findings on our parts, Rob and I discovered that close to our entire PTA board have decided to homeschool. Hmmm.... makes me wonder what they know that I don't. This just solidified our decision to pull the kids out sooner rather than later.

Originally I had months to prepare, but now I only have weeks. We will have a bit of "decompression" time. The materials will come in a few days. I will start organizing space in our home for files and schooling materials. I will be doing a deep-cleaning in the house prior to Friday (kids last day of public school), so we will start with a fresh slate.

No comments:

Post a Comment